Friday, February 6, 2009

Eucharistic Adoration

The first Friday of the month I go to Church and sit there quietly in front of the Blessed Sacrament. It would have surprised me one or two years ago, that after 30 years away from my Catholic roots I would be praying again in a church. That would have been unheard of. So I find myself at this juncture that I come full circle. I definitely experience a calm and spiritual connection with the Holy Spirit by being in the quite silence of the Eucharist. Years ago I would have thought this to be idol worship, but it is clear to me now that I am in the presence of the body of Christ. It is not easy to explain. I felt the same spiritual connection many years ago in a Bat Mitzvah. That feeling that hits the core of your spirit. The real you not this mortal coil as Shakespeare would say. I love it because it centers me and gives me peace inside. In the Church completely quite and serene, as you sit there in the earth shattering silence you might hear the still small voice answering your prayers and guiding you. I definitely always first give thanks for all the blessings I have. "In all things give thanks" as the scriptures say. Even though I my body has MS, "stuff could be worse", to quote my friend Kim. Yes, even if I am in physical pain 24/7, I have my medications, my home, I have a car, I can drive, running water. Simple things we take for granted on a daily basis are definitely blessings. In addition, there are all the blessings in disguise we take for granted. For example, you are caught in a red light at the last moment, and little do you realize that maybe that red light just saved your life. There might have been a car ten seconds later that would run a stop sign and have caused you to be a horrible accident.
You misplaced your keys and you can't find them you are delayed. Maybe that small time of delay will cause you to meet someone at the grocery store that has a job opportunity for you. These are just a few things. I could go on and on with examples. I was told once that "coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous". I've never forgotten that quote.
It all comes down to what you have faith in. I don't think anyone has all the answers.
If anyone tells you they do, well I don't know. The more you know the more you know you don't know anything.
So I will keep praying without ceasing.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to remember that phrase "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous". I certainly agree with that.

    ReplyDelete